Monday, January 18, 2010

MLK Day...

I remember the day when JFK got shot. I was a kid in Dallas, TX at the time.
I was watching cartoons on TV. Ragg Mopp was on.
I remember when MLK got shot. We were playing in a creek not far from where we lived In Humble, TX. I came home and it was on the TV.

Back then we had 3-6 channels we could pick up on the rabbit-ears on top of the set.
I remember my mom sayin.."what a shame."

I can briefly remember segregated barbershops, restaurants, water fountains and such.
I had a friend that was of color,(as we all are). There were places he would not go with our group of friends. Mainly because of fear of repercussions from just walking thru the door.
I was welcome in his home and he in mine. His momma made the BEST Fried Pork Chops I ever tasted!! I never understood the whole B/W thing.

Mom used to tell us, that the Good Lord made people like a rainbow. It wasn't our choice where we wound up. But it is hard for one to exist without the others.

MLK was a smart and inspiring man. His I have a Dream speech was one of the most memorable. I remember seeing it on the TV also. To say the least it, it is one of the best I have heard.
What sorrows me is, many have taken the Dream and made a nightmare of it.

I leave you with this-

"Now, I say to you today my friends, even though we face the difficulties of today and tomorrow, I still have a dream. It is a dream deeply rooted in the American dream. I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed: - 'We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal.' "Martin Luther King Jr., Speech at Civil Rights March on Washington, August 28, 1963

No comments: